• Donate now!

Night #2 Blog

Robert Mohrbutter: 
Dear Mom,
I slept outside last night. It was really really cold but I survived. I’m sleeping outside again tonight and will not sleep in a bed until Friday. I know you must be very concerned about me but I want you to know that I’m safe and well. Luckily I am only sleeping outside for 5 nights unlike those who are unfortunate enough to be actually homeless. I’m really proud to be part of this 5 Days for the Homeless campaign which aims to support those who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless, especially youth. All proceeds from the campaign go directly to EGADZ a great organisation which helps these people here in Saskatoon. We are working hard to reach are donation goal of $20, 000 and I think we can reach it and maybe even surpass it. I hope you are not worrying about me too much Mom and i hope you understand why I am participating in the campaign.
Love you,
Robbie Mohrbutter
Max Mykytyzyn: 
Well the harsh realities are starting to set in now. Last night we went to bed with the temperature at -18, and it dipped down to a -28 with the windchill. Luckily nobody lost any toes, we only lost our sleep! The biggest development today was a hole in my pants. Real glamourous stuff on day one. But to stay true to the campaign I’m sticking with them. Later in the day I was offered some duct tape to patch them up which should be good enough for the week. I’ll keep everyone posted. Today I took part in a few class announcements and shook donation boxes all over campus. Operating on around an hour of sleep would be impossible doing anything else, but when you’re contributing to a great cause like this it’s easy to put in the effort! I’m really proud of how our team handled the last 24 hours, it wasn’t easy but there’s still smiles all around.
Jazmin Evers:
One night down, four to go!
Folks, last night was a bit brisk. We found a secluded spot away from any wind and Sean tucked us into our tarp pretty snugly at 11:00. It was chilly, but livable …or so we thought. We woke up approximately every 3.6 minutes and each time felt exponentially colder than the last. To make matters worse, our sleeping spot turned out to be on a steeper incline than we’d originally realized. Overall, I’d (over)estimate that I slept for around 20 minutes total.
Our pancake breakfast this morning was a huge success though! It was a little tough to inhale all the syrupy-cake fumes without sampling any, but we did have some apples for a nutritious start to the day, in addition to the oranges EGADZ brought us around midnight.
The most rewarding part of my day was making classroom announcements. It was pretty decent to score myself some cookies from a generous student in one of the lectures I spoke at. But what was really amazing to see was just how quickly our donation houses filled up with coins from fellow students (and faculty!).
USask, your kind and giving spirit warms my heart after a bitterly cold night outdoors.
Nickol Saenz :
Last night was a rough challenge. We could not sleep at all because of the cold. I feel so tired today plus all the day I had a bad headache because of the bad diet. I do not think I realize how hard was this. It is so hard focusing on your assignments and classes, expect to do well in the school and run the campaign. However, it is overwhelming seeing the page and see the numbers going up hence is all for a good cause.Thank you for all the donations and for the tooth brush!! I hope to had a better night outside 🙂
Crystal Lau: 
-30*C. I could not believe it.
With a maximum of 2 hours of sleep, I was happy to hear the first plane taken off, I was even happier to hear the morning workers driving around the garbage truck, banging loudly. I have never been so excited about the wake up call.
Between all the twisting and turning, all 5 of us homeless participants found each other wide awake, not because of excitement, but simply because of the cold. We were under the tarp that is not big enough to cover all 5 of us, so cold air kept creeping in through the cracks. I felt the coldness of the ground catching up to the warmth of my body, I felt like I was losing my body heat; I turned over to the other side, only to find that the other side of the body was freezing cold as well. I kept lying to myself, I kept telling myself that, if I just fall asleep, if I just try and close my eyes, I could forget about the cold. I couldn’t. I was devastated.  Turns out half of my body slipped right outside of my sleeping bag.
I needed to pee, I waited, I held it in because I could not bear to be in the cold. I waited for that morning call, I waited for a long time, though I couldn’t tell how long was it exactly. I had no idea if my eyes were seeing the dark or dreaming about the dark. It was pitch black under the tarp. So finally I got up, I ran behind the closest tree possible, and that was it. I couldn’t careless to go any further – I would have freeze my butt off.
Finally, it was the morning. After I thaw my toes and warmed up, I stood outside the front door of the main building with a sign and a house for donation. I received the eyes with rejection, the eyes of curiosity, the eyes with kindness and donations. I now understand how grateful one can be, when someone stops and just take a few seconds to get out some change, for a change. I was grateful for all my friends who babysat me, and am even more grateful to the students I have never met, that offered donation in money and food when they found out about us.
I have hopefully learnt more on how to dress and layer myself inside the sleeping bag, and hope that tonight will not be as cold. I mean, it is still going to be very cold, -29, but at least it won’t be my turn to sleep on the side.
Thank you!